This month, additional funds will be distributed through a variety of different cash programs.
While the majority of Americans have already received their federal stimulus checks, a few states and cities are paying residents this month. States also make payments in the form of tax rebates and stimuli.
Check the list below to see if your state or city is sending out cash in May.
1. California is ranked first with a budget of $1,200.
California began two stimulus programs in 2021 and continues to make payments this year.
Residents who qualify for the Golden State I (GSS I) and Golden State Stimulus II (GSS II) initiatives may receive up to $1,200 and $1,100, respectively.
You must earn less than $75,000 and have filed your 2020 taxes by October 15, 2021 to be eligible for either program.
According to The Sun, the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) issued nearly 73,000 checks on April 22.
Direct deposit recipients typically receive payments within a few days.
Allow up to three weeks for delivery of paper checks.
The FTB also stated that the state will issue another tranche of stimulus checks in the middle of next month.
While the exact number of payments has not been determined, they are expected to be “significantly fewer.”
The board stated that the majority of the remaining payments will be made to individuals who amended their non-resident state income tax returns.
2. Delaware is ranked second with a budget of $600,000.
Delaware is a state that provides tax rebates.
Individuals filing individually will receive $300, while married couples filing jointly will receive $600.
Delaware residents who filed a personal income tax return in 2020 will receive direct payments.
The state’s Department of Finance (DOF) is developing a method for qualifying adult Delaware residents who did not file a 2020 tax return to receive the rebate.
The state is expected to make an announcement once additional information becomes available.
“Based on 2020 return data, the state anticipates sending the first round of payments in May,” the DOF told The Sun.
“Additional rounds will be conducted using data that can be coordinated with other state agencies,” the report states.
600,000 residents will receive one-time payments.
3. Indiana is ranked third, costing $125.
The following state will offer a smaller refund of up to $250 to eligible married couples. Indiana residents filing as single will receive $125.
Any taxpayer who filed their 2020 taxes before January 3, 2022, is eligible for the cash.
Residents who provided banking information on their 2021 tax returns will receive direct deposits.
Beginning in May, refunds will continue throughout the summer. Paper checks will be issued in July or August. A one-time payment will be made to the state’s approximately 4.3 million residents.
4. $150.00 – Chicago, IL
Residents of Chicago, Illinois, who qualify, may apply for gas cards.
According to Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s Chicago Moves plan, eligible residents will receive up to 50,000 $150 prepaid gas cards and 100,000 $50 prepaid transit cards.
At least 75,000 transit cards will be distributed geographically, with priority given to residents of low-income neighborhoods.
75% of the gas cards will be distributed to residents of Chicago’s south and west sides. The remaining 25% will be distributed evenly throughout the city.
The gas cards will be valid only at filling stations located within the city of Chicago. The cards will be distributed once a month from May to September.
To be eligible for the $150 gas cards, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- At the moment, I am based in Chicago.
- 18 years and older
- Have a current and valid city sticker with the vehicle’s correct mailing address.
- Have a household income that is less than 100% of the Chicago metropolitan area’s median income.
- Additionally, millions of Illinois taxpayers are scheduled to receive up to $400 in payments this year.