Now that tax season is over, the next step is to await the arrival of your tax refund. And if you filed a paper tax return and did not set up direct deposit, your tax refund will be mailed to you as a paper check. But when can you anticipate its arrival?
The United States Postal Service provides a tracking tool that lets you know precisely when your tax refund will arrive. It’s called Informed Delivery, and it’s a free USPS service that notifies you of all incoming mail and transmits images of the envelopes’ fronts so you know exactly what’s on its way. It does not take pictures of your incoming packages, but it does track them and allows you to add an electronic signature so that you can receive packages when you are not at home.
The process of configuring and utilizing USPS Informed Delivery is relatively straightforward; we will explain how to do so. Learn more about tax season and the post office by reading about this year’s most significant tax changes, CNET’s picks for the best tax software for 2022, and how to notify the IRS and USPS of your move.
Track the delivery of your check directly to your mailbox using USPS Informed Delivery.
Informed Delivery is a free mail-tracking service offered by the United States Postal Service (USPS) that automatically scans your incoming mail and sends you an image whenever something bearing your name is about to be delivered.
When the USPS runs mail through its automated sorting equipment, a digital image of the letter-sized mail’s front is created. Anyone who enrolls in Informed Delivery can benefit from this information by requesting that the United States Postal Service notify them when each piece of mail bearing their name is en route. Note that account activation can take up to three days to complete.
As part of the program, you will receive an email each morning, Monday through Saturday, notifying you that you have received mail. You will also see a grayscale image of the front of the letter. Additionally, Informed Delivery offers free apps for Android and iOS.
Please note that signing up will allow you to view all mail scanned by the post office. The service may be terminated at any time. Learn how to sign up for Informed Delivery by reading on.
Additionally, you can track your packages through the post office.
With Informed Delivery, you can check the delivery status and expected arrival time of your packages. However, the post office does not photograph your packages. You can use the service to generate an electronic signature in order to receive packages while you are away from home.
How to receive USPS Informed Delivery notifications
- Informed Delivery has certain restrictions. For instance, many residential and personal post office box addresses are supported, but business addresses are not. Additionally, it will not work for residential buildings where the USPS has not yet identified each unit.
- To determine whether Informed Delivery is available in your area, visit the Informed Delivery page of the United States Postal Service.
- Tap Register for Free.
- Enter your mailing address and confirm that it is compatible with the service; then accept the terms of service and tap Continue.
- Choose a username, password, and security questions on the following page. Enter your contact details and then tap Continue.
- On the following page, you will be required to verify your identity. Tap Verify identity online if you want a verification code sent to your phone, or tap Request invitation code by mail if you want the USPS to mail you a code. You may also have the option to verify your identity in person by visiting a post office.